Thursday, April 2, 2009

Teaching tonight!

I get to teach tonight and I'm so excited... the first day of class is always sort of weird. I talk too fast and try to be a little too impressive... I say too many weird things to get a laugh and then lose my students attention because I'm totally boring. Really? Who cares about grain and all the different layers to a negative except crazy zoners like me... I just love talking about photography and taking pictures so I force them to learn things that I really think are interesting...

For instance (you knew that was coming)
Did you know that faster speed films have more grains (to pick up more light) and so if you're shooting a 400 speed film you will see the grain much more easily than you will a 100 speed film?

And (I swear this is the last one... for now)
Did you know that you will usually get a better image if you overexpose your film a little bit? It's true, the film industry wants to sell their faster speed films to you and yes, you will get an image... but if you rate your 400 speed film at 320, you will, most likely, get a more easily printed negative?

I know... it's awesome.

I'll save focal length for another post (can't wait!)

-photonerdinesstotheNthdegree

No comments:

Post a Comment